What you’ll be doing...
The West Territory Transport Planning team is looking for a Principal Engineer to fully support our network growth and capacity strategies. This position will lead the territory in Equipment, Floor Space and Power Planning. Provide guidance and support for One Fiber deployments. Lead the efforts on service portal and future enhancements.
The Principal Engineer must have deep understanding and experience with the transport and switching of cell site; leased Ethernet backhaul, internally deployed transport on lease dark fiber, trunking and entrance facilities carrying PSTN traffic, as well as microwave technologies. The candidate is responsible to maintain and enhance their professional and technical knowledge of transport technologies and solutions. Meet periodically with Various Transport Planning Teams including HQ, Territories and Sub-Markets and Maintenance engineering in order to stay up-to-date on the current and future product features, requirements, and specifications to optimization the transport network.
The ideal candidate has demonstrated leadership of indirect teams and is recognized as a strategic thought leader. This role will be responsible for planning and directing vendor activities to ensure the timely development and delivery in conjunction with the capital budget. Candidate should have a passion for building relationships and leading cross functional teams.
Makes appropriate adjustments and make recommendations to manage problems and issues as they “unfold”. Must be able to act as a communication bridge between HQ, Territory and submarket stakeholders - with the ability to engage with stakeholders to understand and respond to business objectives and needs in rapidly changing business environments.
- Forecast future transport equipment needs and define power and space needs for switches, fiber and CRAN hubs.
- Collaborate with cross functional planning teams to define the impact that their projects will have to the transport network and equipment.
- Anticipate future end-of-life transport equipment and develop approved solutions to replace or decommission it.
- Develop, communicate, drive, and track the successful spend of the 2017 Territory Transport Budget in partnership with the sub-markets.
- Receives general instruction, otherwise performs independently with minimal supervision, exercising latitude to achieve daily objectives and approaches to critical/complex assignments.
- Multi-tasks to effectively manage a wide range of simultaneous activities often interrupted by other demands
- Manage stakeholder expectations and encourage communication at all levels
- Provide program status updates to peers and upper management
- Collect, manipulate and analyze data. Prepare reports, which may be in the form of visualizations such as graphs, charts and dashboards, detailing the information and knowledge deduced
What we’re looking for...
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
Ideally, you’ll also have:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering (or related discipline); Master’s degree desired.
- Six or more years of experience in wireless industry with focus on telecommunication and transport networks.
- Demonstrated knowledge in the following platforms and/or technologies: Nokia (7750, 7705, 1675 & 1631), Cisco (9K,1K), Tellabs 5500, Fujitsu FW9500 & Ciena 6500.
- Strong networking experience to include Layer-1, Layer-2 & Layer-3 principles.
- Legacy Telecom experience including: DS1, DS3, SONET, PSTN.
- Experience with the Ericsson Granite Inventory circuit inventory system.
- Proficient in office computer applications: Excel, Word, Visio, PowerPoint, and Access.
- Excellent analytic, troubleshooting, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Excellent decision making skills (making appropriate use of available information and data; making sound decisions with minimal support from Manager; and being responsible for specific projects or definable portions of larger projects or processes.)
- Ability to balance technical and business requirements.
- Superior organizational and planning skills (setting and communicating priorities; anticipating workload impact on resources of both self and team; delegating where appropriate; consistently following up on outstanding items; and providing focus in meetings and discussions).
- Ability to maintain performance level under varying degrees of pressure and uncertainty and to effectively deal with situations for which few or no guidelines exist.
- Flexible and creative (seeks out and attempts alternate solutions to resolve issues, and seamlessly adjusts to a dynamic, changing business environment).
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer- and celebrate our employees' differences, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or Veteran status. Different makes us better.
Click here for more info: http://www.verizon.com/about/work/jobs/6750276-principal-planning-engineer
• Post ID: 46003853 seattle