The West Territory Planning team is looking for a Principal Engineer to identify and drive network cost optimization efforts, maximizing savings opportunities while fully supporting our network growth and capacity strategies. This position will lead the development of the plans of record for direct telecom expense spend, devise specific cost reduction plans for sub-market execution, identify risks and develop strategies to mitigate challenges to meeting expense targets.
The Principal Engineer must have deep understanding and experience with the transport and switching of cell site; leased Ethernet backhaul, internally deployed transport on lease dark fiber, trunking and entrance facilities carrying PSTN traffic, as well as microwave technologies. The candidate is responsible to maintain and enhance their professional and technical knowledge of transport technologies and solutions. Meet periodically with Transport Planning and Maintenance engineering in order to stay up-to-date on the current and future product features, requirements, and specifics, to develop novel network optimization strategies and for proper planning of network expense.
The ideal candidate has demonstrated leadership of indirect teams and is recognized as a strategic thought leader. Candidate will be responsible for coordination of activities associated with Verizon’s Strategic Network Transformation initiatives. This role will be responsible for planning and directing project activities to ensure the timely development and delivery. Candidate should have a passion for building relationships and leading cross functional teams.
Makes appropriate adjustments and make recommendations to manage problems and issues as they “unfold”. Must be able to act as a communication bridge between HQ, Territory and submarket stakeholders - with the ability to engage with stakeholders to understand and respond to business objectives and needs in rapidly changing business environments.
- Produce the rolling forecast of monthly direct telecom expenditures; incorporating all optimization and build plan initiatives. Communicates to ensure Territory and submarket expense budgets cover forecasted requirements.
- Leads large scale projects, driving productivity through use of various resources to meet deliverables.
- Engages appropriate internal and external organizations with professional written/verbal communications to accomplish required tasks.
- Proposes solutions supported by sound engineering and operational productivity to achieve goals in creative and effective ways.
- Receives general instruction, otherwise performs independently with minimal supervision, exercising latitude to achieve daily objectives and approaches to critical/complex assignments.
- Multi-tasks to effectively manage a wide range of simultaneous activities often interrupted by other demands
- Manage stakeholder expectations and encourage communication at all levels
- Provide program status updates to peers and upper management
- Collaborate with Submarket transport teams and other Territory planners on priorities, strategy
- Collect, manipulate and analyze data. Prepare reports, which may be in the form of visualizations such as graphs, charts and dashboards, detailing the information and knowledge deduced
- Bachelor’s degree or six or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
- Networking experience.
Ideally, you’ll also have:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering (or related discipline), Master’s degree desired
- Six or more years of experience in experience in wireless industry with focus on telecommunication and transport networks.
- Demonstrated knowledge in the following platforms and/or technologies: Nokia (7750, 7705, 1675 & 1631), Cisco (9K,1K), Tellabs 5500, Fujitsu FW9500 & Ciena 6500.
- Strong networking experience to include Layer-1, Layer-2 & Layer-3 principles.
- Legacy Telecom experience including: DS1, DS3, SONET, PSTN
- Experience with the Ericsson Granite Inventory circuit inventory system.
- Proficient in office computer applications: Excel, Word, Visio, PowerPoint, and Access.
- Excellent analytic, troubleshooting, interpersonal, and communication skills
- Excellent decision making skills (making appropriate use of available information and data; making sound decisions with minimal support from Manager; and being responsible for specific projects or definable portions of larger projects or processes.)
- Ability to balance technical and business requirements.
- Superior organizational and planning skills (setting and communicating priorities; anticipating workload impact on resources of both self and team; delegating where appropriate; consistently following up on outstanding items; and providing focus in meetings and discussions).
- Ability to maintain performance level under varying degrees of pressure and uncertainty and to effectively deal with situations for which few or no guidelines exist.
- Flexible and creative (seeks out and attempts alternate solutions to resolve issues, and seamlessly adjusts to a dynamic, changing business environment).
Not to boast, but a little bit about us
Verizon powers America’s fastest and most reliable network. We’re also leading the way in cloud and security solutions, Internet of Things and video entertainment. Technology moves fast and so do we. We believe that bringing great ideas and customer experiences to life should be recognized and rewarded. Whether you think in code, words, pictures or numbers, find your future at Verizon.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or Veteran status. Different makes us better.
Click here for more info: http://www.verizon.com/about/work/jobs/6694197-principal-planning-engineer
• Post ID: 44997763 seattle